Skalní útvary

Žádná stanoviště

Další zajímavosti

Žádná stanoviště

Theme

Church

Stand Number: 
2
Church

The difficulty of the ancient division of the village with a single name -
Křižánky to České and Moravské Křižánky - was equally difficult to dividing the local citizens by religion. They were not just Catholics and Protestants, as in other areas. In Křižánky Bohemian Catholics lived alongside Moravian Catholics and in addition to Moravian Evangelical Protestants, Bohemian Evangelical Protestants lived here. We should also keep in mind the followers of the Church of the Brethren.

The breakdown by parish was also quite challenging - Moravian
Catholics were assigned to Herálec Parish, whereas people of the same religion on the Bohemian side were assigned to Svratka. Protestants from Moravia went to Sněžné to take part in a mass while those from Bohemia went to Svratouch.
 
The inhabitants of the village were very unhappy about not having their own sanctuary, which ultimately resulted in
the decision to build their own church. The initiative came from Mr Staškraba, the parish priest from
Herálec.
 
Sketch plans, as well as the realization of the whole construction works were assumed by Jaroslav Jungmann, the Brno architect. Under his leadership, the construction works were performed by master bricklayers
from Fryšava and transportation of materials and ancillary activities were done for free by
Křižánky residents. Bricks for construction of the church come from České Milovy and the
tiles on the roof from Tuřanský Sv. Martin in Slovakia. The interior works were created by local master carpenter Mr Žejdlík from České Křižánky.
 
The total budget for the construction of the church climbed to 160,000 crowns.  This money was paid in cash and consisted primarily of donations. 
             
The first construction works on the new sanctuary begun in 1932 and a
year later the building could be consecrated, although the church
still lacked a great deal. It was very poorly equipped; believers were not welcomed by organ tones,
as there was no money for the instrument and people were not called to the ceremonial consecration
by the voices of bells, which, in addition to an organ, were supposed to be purchased later.
The baptismal font, a chandelier and Calvary were also missing.
 
The ordination ceremony itself had to be postponed on two occasions due to bad weather
and even the third term chosen was not very happy. On 5 August 1934 an unusually large number of people gathered at the new sanctuary. On this day the new church in Křižánky was supposed to be consecrated, finally. However, according to the memories of witnesses, "a great wind and harsh rain came up. It was said that the papal
flag was so tangled that it was impossible to untangle. "
 
Křižánky’s parishioners were surprised and disappointed. They had expected to use the money collected at the ceremony for the very necessary furnishing of the church. As it happened, they had to wait a few more years.
 
The purchase of bells was especially important, as they are the voice of each
sanctuary. Their unmissable wonderful sound can be heard far and wide
which, according to believers, it should, just like prayer ascends to God.
 
The ordination of two newly acquired Křižánky church bells took place on 14 June
1936 and was very festive. The Church of Our Lady Help of Christians had finally its own voice - and not just one,
because two bells were installed in the tower. The first was dedicated to the Mother of God and
second to St John of Nepomuk.
 
Eventually, though, the Křižánky bells had the same fate as all the other bells in
the region. During World War II the Germans confiscated both bells for military purposes. They have never returned to the tower of the church of Our Lady Help of Christians.
 
Finally, the sanctuary in Křižánky regained its voice in the form of a
new bell, which was cast as one of the first products from the modern
industrial heartland of Žďár nad Sázavou – a company then called Žďárské strojírny a slevárny, now called Žďas. The ceremonial consecration on 8 July 1954 was performed by Stanislav Svoboda, the parish priest from Herálec.
 
The bell of the church tower in Křižánky is heard far and wide these days. When
they sound, people seem to suddenly forget all their cares and worries.
Listen to its pure and uplifting, rousing yet
soothing call.
 
 

Javascript is required to view this map.